Sunday 17 July 2011

Engine: Cams and Valvetrain Components

Now to the important decision for most engine builders: Which cams to use?

Have I mentioned that this is going to be a Skunk2 equipped engine?  If not, well it is.  But still, which cams?  I have done my research and I am leaning towards the Pro Series off course, due to its superior mid-range gains in comparison with the Tuner Series.  I might be driving my car to work as well, so I need those mid-range torque rather than having to rev at top rpm just to overtake sightseeing vehicles on the road.  So I explained my intention and constraints to Chris (Pentagon) and he recommended the Pro 2+, especially since the engine is going to be somewhat in the 12+ static compression ratio, so the Pro 3+ is out of the question.  Remember that in order to make power with high profile camshafts the engine need to have the minimum static compression ratio, or else you're gonna lose power instead of gaining more.  So again, don't be greedy (i.e. gila kuasa!), let's reserve the extreme for later!


As for the cam pulleys, I went for the Tuner Series instead.  To me, it looks nicer than the Pro Series ones.  And it's available in Blue.  I like Blue.  Who doesn't?


The Pro Series valvesprings to go with the Pro Series camshafts:

The Titanium retainers set:

And finally, the Forged valves, standard sizes, high-compression units:

Here's the valves all lined up and numbered, ready for installation.  All the valve locks or keepers are also brand new, using Honda OEM units.

1 comment:

  1. Great! Awesome to read your post about Cams and Valvetrain Components . You have done brilliant job to write this post. It has lots of information to share with images to explain. Good job.


    high quality valves

    ReplyDelete