Wednesday 20 July 2011

Intake: Breathing Apparatus

The Skunk2 Pro Series intake manifold is, by far, looks much nicer than the Type R ones.  OK that sound so immature, judging the quality of stuffs from its mere physical outlook.  The good build quality and professional looks are off course bonus points, but the true and dyno proven fact is the Skunk2 intake manifold is definitely better than the OEM Type R intake.  The Skunk2 website stated that their manifold increases the engine horsepower for about 8% from the stock manifold, that's a good enough reason for me to get it, while improving the looks of the engine bay as well.  Beware of imitation though!

The Throttle Body inlet of an original Skunk2 manifold is able to be bored to a maximum of 75mm diameter to satisfy those "Gila Kuasa" people like you (and me!), you can't do that on the fake ones without destroying it in the process.

The plenum is larger than the OEM, and the more obvious difference is the re-design of the runner for cylinder No.1, which improves the air flow significantly.  I'm not making claims for Skunk2, I make no money in promoting their product (I wish I do though!), but these are also based on cumulative personal experience and dyno runs by people I know. 

It might not be the best one out there as well, but it sure is the best bang-for-buck manifold for builder with tight budget like me.  If money is not a problem to you, then I'll recommend you to get this one instead (yummy!).  Me? I literally might have to sell one of my kidney (and perhaps testicles as well!) to afford one of these.

I went for the 68mm Skunk2 Pro Series throttle body for this build.  At that time the biggest size available was 70mm.  But remember, I will also be driving this engine to work.  Too big the throttle body, and you may have problem at part throttle or cruising mode.  Say you are cruising at the highway, enjoying the drive with Siti Nurhaliza song on the radio, then all of the sudden a Wiralution passes by, and you decided to harass them, if you're on 70mm, the moment you drop the gear and floor the gas pedal, there is a high chance that the engine will first bog down for a few seconds, before it accelerates again.  Now that's embarrassing, and frustrating too!  With 68mm, plus the medium compression engine and Stage 2 cam that I am using, that never happens.  Big is not always better.  I'm talking about throttle bodies!  The same can't be said for other things, for example, boobs, among others.


A few other plus features of the Skunk2 throttle body are the personalized serial number (supposedly the serial number is unique), and the MAP sensor has been relocated to the bottom, hence improving it appearance as well.  Be sure to port match it to your intake manifold, it's a must!


No comments:

Post a Comment